Sunday 8 May 2011

My Name is BARNABAS!

I hate to admit this, i mean i could have been given names like John,Peter,Paul,Joshua even Titus is not bad, instead i was given a name close to the thief crucified with christ.
The name itself is not as bad as it sound,but when friends call me all sorts like Barny,Barna B, and worse of all Barnaa! That is bad!

Imagine what my folks were thinking, when they chose to call me that name of all the names in the Bible, some shallow bible scholar still mistake the name for Barabas,are you guilty? I mean Barnabas is not even a real name it was a nickname to the guy 'joseph of cyprus' in the bible,i bet you didnt know that!(Acts 4:36-37)
I have a little encouragement in the meaning of the name, maybe that was the whole idea, as in, to be encouraged by the meaning,cos the name actually means "son of encouragement" see my point? Maybe i should just take encouragement in the "son of encouragement".

I have being hiding behind Tobi for so long that i tried eliminating Barnabas off the books,but it never worked, the name just keeps coming back to me.I put it last amongs my name 'Abimbola Tobi Barnabas' imagine my dissapointment when all my ATM cards carry 'Barnabas Abimbola' or 'Abimbola Barnabas' i mean where is Tobi?
Worst is,there no celebrity bearing that name that i can hide behind,no friend, every one seem to have abandoned the name for only me, maybe that was the idea, they wanted to give me a special name,but why not Nebuchadnezzar?

Looking at it from a different angle,the name is kind of nice. i mean if friends can just call me Babs or something much creme, and the Barnabas himself in the Bible was a sweet person. I mean the guy was sweet! little wonder he earned that nickname.
Now am proud of the guy and the name,I am a son of encouragement,and the first person to be encouraged is Me. I have encouraged myself that the name is special and i have today rechristened myself, and i give encouragement to all who feel their names are not cool. Seriously your name cant be that bad,just accept it!

Your name is special,no matter how bad you think it sounds or how commonized the name is, be it native or biblical or islamic!
My name is Barnabas, and am here to encourage YOU!

No comments:

Post a Comment